099: Brandy Agerbeck - On Shaping Your Talk With Visuals
Brandy Agerbeck is a graphic facilitator, speaker and expert on helping people put their ideas into a visual form. I’m not talking about pretty slides (although that matters) – I’m talking about structure, function and form – in visuals. I think this is an area not talked about enough – and yet as an audience member it’s crucial for helping make the leap to understanding that much faster. So I was so excited when one of my loyal listeners Jeffrey suggested that I have Brandy on the show! (Thanks, Jeffrey!) Brandy – you are doing such important work – in such a playful and wonderful way!
"Too often the visuals are just a slide deck. Your talk has a shape." @loosetooth on @ThisMovedMe
On the show, we talked about SO MUCH GOOD STUFF!
- What it means to be a graphic facilitator
- How Brandy has taken her art and helps people communicate complex ideas in a visual and more understandable way
- How shaping your talk helps you find your structure
- The tools Brandy uses to find the shapes of her talks
- The power of chunking, sorting, seeing patterns
- And PLAY.... and how art can help release us from the linear traps
"We're the luckiest people in the world cause we get to make stuff." On @ThisMovedMe
RESOURCES & LINKS
- Brandy's website and blog (full of good stuff)
- Brandy's YouTube channel
- Brandy's TEDx talk about shaping your ideas
- OmniOutliner (a tool I love to use to get my ideas out and help find the structure of my talks)
- Scrivener [free trial link!]
- Brandy's book launch on Kickstarter (can't wait!)
- Brandy on Twitter - she tweets great stuff!
#Speakers: "Our visuals can make complex ideas understandable." ~@LooseTooth on @ThisMovedMe
At the Oscars this year, Pete Doctor and Jonas Rivera accepted their award for the best-animated picture Inside Out, saying "We are the luckiest people in the world because we get to make stuff."
Aside from the simplicity and loveliness of this sentiment - for Brandy, making stuff was part of her escape and respite during challenging times growing up. So it was an important reminder - and a beautiful, moving moment:
Thanks to Scott for sending it to me!
Let's go make something!
THANKS TO OUR PARTNERS
Presentation Prep Course
Dr. Nick Morgan (a guest on This Moved Me) created the Presentation Prep Course. It's like having Nick coach you - which is no small thing! Nick is the ultimate pro - and I myself have walked through this course. It's so incredibly helpful and full of insight and tools. If you are prepping for a presentation and can't afford the costly hours of hiring someone live - check out this e-course!
We Edit Podcasts
And, I cannot forget the editing geniuses at We Edit Podcasts! They are so on the ball. Just last week I hadn't heard from my editor - which was strange - and so I sent an email expressing my concern. I got a phone call back from the FOUNDER, assuring me all was well. That's what I call service. Please trust me - I have saved so many hours by having these folks take on the nit-picky task of editing my shows for me. If you have a podcast - or want to create a podcast - this is sooooo worth it.