037: Paul Angone – On Creating Resonance
Paul Angone – speaker and blogger and creator of “All Groan Up” - and author of the several books about the challenge of coming down from the huge expectations we have for ourselves as 20-somethings – shares with me the secret to resonance with your audience… which is embracing the very real possibility of embarrassment.
Listen to the podcast
In this episode we discuss:
- Paul's goal - to give people truth, hope and hilarity
- How to build expertise in an area that you're passionate about so you can share your message
- The connection between influence, leadership and speaking
- Creating resonance - even as you are different from your audience
- Using your online platform to beta-test your ideas, and then confirming it on stage
- The importance of being willing to tell the embarrassing, authentic stories
- The challenge and vulnerability of declaring our value
- Finding inspiration for new content
- The importance of a story notebook to capture all the ideas that come to you!
[Tweet "A lot of my inspiration for my talk comes from getting away from my computer." - Paul Angone on @ThisMovedMe"]
This Moved Me Moments:
At this year's TED Conference the TEDPrize talk from StoryCorp... This is well worth your 20-minutes. StoryCorp is an amazing organization that started about ten years ago where you invite people in to have a conversation that gets recorded, and then archived. These are real conversations, capturing beautiful moments between people.
Paul loves anthem music! It has momentum, and build. And the best part is seeing it in concert - feeling like we are building this anthem together. (And it inspires his work as a speaker and presenter, too!)
Mumford & Sons is a favorite. Here's a great example of one of their anthem songs... (Looks like a fun concert!)
Isn't Paul great?! Such a fun conversation. If you enjoyed it, I'd love for you to subscribe, rate and review This Moved Me on iTunes. Super easy, and you win a place in my heart always. Bonus!
THANKS for all of your support and enthusiasm for this little podcast... I truly appreciate it!
Let's keep this conversation going:
Paul and I talked about resonance. And he mentioned how one of the ways to win your audience is to share the embarrassing moments. How about you? What strategies do you use to bring your audience into your message and win them over?
Dive in and let us know on Twitter, tagging @ThisMovedMe and @PaulAngone. We'd love to hear what you think!
Paul's book, 101 Secrets for your Twenties
And, All Groan Up
Read this post on This Moved Me.