Brandy Agerbeck is a graphic facilitator, speaker and expert on helping people put their ideas into a visual form. I’m not talking about pretty slides (although that matters) – I’m talking about structure, function and form – in visuals. I think this is an area not talked about enough – and yet as an audience member it’s crucial for helping make the leap to understanding that much faster. So I was so excited when one of my loyal listeners Jeffrey suggested that I have Brandy on the show! (Thanks, Jeffrey!) Brandy – you are doing such important work – in such a playful and wonderful way!
SHOW HIGHLIGHTS: ON SHAPING YOUR TALK WITH VISUALS
On the show, we talked about SO MUCH GOOD STUFF!
- What it means to be a graphic facilitator
- How Brandy has taken her art and helps people communicate complex ideas in a visual and more understandable way
- How shaping your talk helps you find your structure
- The tools Brandy uses to find the shapes of her talks
- The power of chunking, sorting, seeing patterns
- And PLAY…. and how art can help release us from the linear traps
RESOURCES & LINKS
- Brandy’s website and blog (full of good stuff)
- Brandy’s YouTube channel
- Brandy’s TEDx talk about shaping your ideas
- OmniOutliner (a tool I love to use to get my ideas out and help find the structure of my talks)
- Scrivener [free trial link!]
- Brandy’s book launch on Kickstarter (can’t wait!)
- Brandy on Twitter – she tweets great stuff!
THIS MOVED ME MOMENTS
At the Oscars this year, Pete Doctor and Jonas Rivera accepted their award for the best-animated picture Inside Out, saying “We are the luckiest people in the world because we get to make stuff.”
Aside from the simplicity and loveliness of this sentiment – for Brandy, making stuff was part of her escape and respite during challenging times growing up. So it was an important reminder – and a beautiful, moving moment:
Let’s go make something!
THANKS TO OUR PARTNERS
Presentation Prep Course
Dr. Nick Morgan (a guest on This Moved Me) created the Presentation Prep Course. It’s like having Nick coach you – which is no small thing! Nick is the ultimate pro – and I myself have walked through this course. It’s so incredibly helpful and full of insight and tools. If you are prepping for a presentation and can’t afford the costly hours of hiring someone live – check out this e-course!
We Edit Podcasts
And, I cannot forget the editing geniuses at We Edit Podcasts! They are so on the ball. Just last week I hadn’t heard from my editor – which was strange – and so I sent an email expressing my concern. I got a phone call back from the FOUNDER, assuring me all was well. That’s what I call service. Please trust me – I have saved so many hours by having these folks take on the nit-picky task of editing my shows for me. If you have a podcast – or want to create a podcast – this is sooooo worth it.